Login
 Register

Home Record : 254,958 Km/h

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

training before the world championships ????
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer
Profilé
hello everyone , iam writting to find out if anyone bar the finns are doing any training before the world championships ? as i find it amazing we will as racers be going into world championships with no warm up race or anything !!! now we have lost les arcs and the possibility of speed records gone for a while . the world championships have become in our sport the most important race to focus on . is it logical we should be going straight into a world championship without a training camp or race to allow us the best possible chance to do well at such a important race . it would be nice if Vars could open the track for a week before the world championships so as racers we could find our speed ski legs again , test our new equipment , skis , etc . so is there any teams in europe organising a training camp or training prior to the world championships ?? if not i think it would be a good idea if we organized one as soon as possible . Vars would make the best choice and most logical choice to where to have a training camp . also i am amazed that in the programme of the world championships , we have no free training day yes we have a training run then straight into the competition . i mean for god shake its the first runs for many racers will have in rubber and speedskis who dont have the opportunity to ski before !!! does it make any sense that we go straight into the competition on the first day witha programme which last a whole week ! we have 3 reserve days . it would be better to have 2 training days so we have 2 reserve days which is plenty enough . and make the first race day with 3 race runs as the first day is never important as the speeds are low so 3 runs is easily done and then do as the programme suggest 2 runs a day . all iam trying to do is to make sure we give as much chance to every race to do well at the race and to make sure we give the the media a good show as its vital we have a good race to show and demonstrate our sport to the world . the last thing i want to see is to see racers uncomfortable racing and crashing and maybe hurting themselves because they came into this race with no training and no speed skiing this year !!!!!

Posted on: 2008/10/25 13:04

Re: training before the world championships ????
Production
From Callander, Scotland
Marc,
Good point, have to agree with you that the situation is not ideal. A training camp would benefit all concerned, wheather this is held at Vars or another venue. Speed Skiing has to put on a good show for the sport to increase its interest to other parties.
Millar

Posted on: 2008/10/27 12:10

Spectateur
From Russia, St.Petersburg
Hello,Marc,
Hello everybody!
Jukka inform us that he planning to organise tranning in Salla 11-14 January.
We will be there of cause, but we agry with you -to get tranning in Vars also.

Nikolay and Pavel
P.S
Winter is coming...

Posted on: 2008/10/27 17:47

Profilé
i will try to contact vars and philippe to see what can be done for training , because no disrespect to finland its a very long way to train at those speeds in the dark and in the cold which will not be the conditions that we will be racing in Vars . i will try to see if philippe can open the track early on before the world championships for 4 to 5 days . if so i will need to know how many people and teams will be interrested in attending a training camp there coz we might have to pay some cost towards it , but i think the benefits will be enormous and immense if we did so . yours marc poncin

Posted on: 2008/10/28 13:54

Profilé
From Czech Republic, Trutnov
Hi Marc, for us is not problem to go to Vars, some days before.
Paying some money is not problem too... But I think that Philippe B. will not be able to open the track in Vars before World Championship. But there is possible to contact not only Phillippe, but other guys in Vars, which are responsible for events. You have one big right, we will are not ready for very fast rece, because, it is first race in season...

Posted on: 2008/10/29 16:11

Profilé
iam glad to see vasek you agree on this rediculous situation we find ourselves in . i know of no sport in the world where the first competition would be such a major important event such a world championships without having a warm up race i see there will be a pop race in switzerland on the 11th so i guess that will be the only opportunity for any kind of official training at the moment in europe .

Posted on: 2008/10/29 17:48

Amateur
HI, yes it is true that we all need a lot of training before racing on such a difficult track. I agree with Marc that it is very much appreciated that Finland is hosting a training camp, however the conditions will not provide optimal training for a piste that is so difficult such as Vars. Someone wrote that there should be 3 training runs on the training days. I don't think this will be possible given the potential amount of people that will attend this event. It's just very difficult to move people up to the track and to the start quickly enough to have 3 official start times. The entry to the piste is dangerous enough as it is, you would not want to put pressure on racers in high altitude to ski around as quickly as possible, not to mention having sherpas to get the gear down in time. You have to leave enough time gaps for the unforeseeable; ie; timing problems, wind, fog, hopefully no crashes - but it can happen. There are no other races at that time, so why not schedule more days for training?

Posted on: 2008/10/30 2:58

Profilé
well said tracey !!! that thoughts exactly we whould have more training days open to us including a free training day on the course !! i mean they did it for the world cup last year and why not again !! also i mens downhill which is considered a speed event they have 2 official training days on the slope . as you said tracey with the amount of people in VARS and its limited to 2 runs a day we are only most likely going to get one training run before the official run on the first day !! this is ridiculous !!! . we should as racers demand not only for our safety but also for performance wise and to ensure the television has a good spectacle and the world and media sees us as serious athletes been given the best chance to perform to our best potential . Also iam sure there will be racers there who have never raced in vars before and they need to be given a chance to adjust and learn the track and you cannot do that with one training run !!! as we do not have les arcs anymore and the potential to break records its so so important that we as racers make a good show to publicize our sport or it will die very quickly !! coz its not speedskiing to be going around always at speeds of under 200 in our discipline !! . i will contact Vars and philippe to see if we can have the track open to us the 3 or 4 days before the world championships open and then saturday for it to be closed for track prep etc while the day of the opening ceromony . Also we need to know if Vars and if F.I.S will allow vars to use the ful potential of the slope if yes then thats amazing for our sport and we need that and makes it more important then ever we have training as no racers for over several years now have skied over 200 and especially nothing like 240 which would be the speed of the top of vars !! we need vars to push to go from the top because i know many will disagree with me but as a spectacle for the media seeing a race at speeds of under 200 is dull lifeless and quite honestly boring as hell !! and no tour sponsor will ever come forward to sponsor us !! we need to put a show to put speed skiing back on the map and for the first time in a long time we have an opportunity with so many TV there to boost our sport !

Posted on: 2008/10/30 12:47

Production
Hi guys,

I understand your concerns. Just fyi this is my situation every year. No training and speed up to 200kmh in 3 runs.
Yahoooooo!!

Looks like this year my competitors have same conditions as I usually have.

BTW: Have a look at this!!

http://www.vars-ski.com/sources/zoom. ... =PIC%20DE%20CHABRIERES%20(2750m)%20-%20Piste%20de%20kl.gif

Posted on: 2008/10/30 16:52

Profilé
Hi everybody,
All your suggestions are good. A training camp in Vars should be so great, or otherwise 1 more training day.
I've heard that there is a pop race in swiss on january 11 ? where is it , who organize ?
In france, we have the young (6-16ans) french championship in December 6 in Chaux Neuve (Jura). i think that some racers, like me, will have training there on Sunday 7.
There is also Jukka training Camp in Salla on January.
We 've got a lot of possibility to train before, but at least we need one more training day in Vars to feel the track and take some marks. A training camp would be perfect, but I don't really know if Vars has got the time and the authorisations to organize it.
it's been a long time since we ski over 200 kph but we need to be as fast as possible in Vars, for the sport, for the show, for the TV.

see you soon,

Bastien

Posted on: 2008/10/30 17:43

Production
"no racers for over several years now have skied over 200 and especially nothing like 240"?!
...it was only April 2007!

Have a great, safe,and fast race; I'll only wish I was there if I hear you've been off the top.

Go fast, eh.

Nigel

Posted on: 2008/10/31 7:22

Profilé
nigel i would have thought someone with your experience and knowledge of the sport as you would have appreciated the importance of training at high speed with years of wanting to train at high speeds to want to go faster also especially after seeing our friend donkeys fall due to total lack of preperation at skiing at high speeds and in some part catlins death in the same race !! also nigel you have to take into consideration how much more difficult vars is to ski then les arcs . i believe also the world championship field for the semi final AND final will look different then that in les arcs a lot of new faces will be there ! and a few of the old guns have also gone ! also nigel the race in les arcs is always traditionaly the last race of the season if but one , so the racers have had time to get prepared and ready for high speeds !! .Anyway nigel hope to see you in canada for sun peaks .

Posted on: 2008/11/1 12:43

Production
Hi Marc,
Of course I know the importance of training but I also know that for most of the speed skiers around the world, this is a luxury which they are often NEVER afforded. Most of the speed skiers used to arrive in Les Arcs in April not having competed in any of the races earlier in the season or had any training. In 2000, I arrived in Les Arcs with a torn ACL, side-slipped to the start of the Pro Mondial on one leg and skied >210. 2002 I did ELEVEN runs in the WHOLE season...sun #7 was >220; run #11 was 235.

Donk's crash in Les Arcs would not have been any different if he'd had more training because since ~2000, no-one has been allowed to train much over 210kph. Consequently, the only opportunity people get to go those speeds is in races.

It would be great if the worlds do go from the top in Vars but I think snow conditions will make it unlikely and, even if you do, on winter snow it's unlikely to be >225 (IMO). If you use all the available run-out in Vars, it's not a difficult track to ski or stop, especially with winter snow.

I hope you all get a chance to train before the race and I hope everyone stays on their feet in training and the race! There's too much doom and gloom around speed skiing and it just hasn't been that long since high speeds were attained...it just feels it! There have been "slow" season before (1998, 2001) but the world record was broken the following season in both cases!

So, what's the deal with Les Arcs and speed skiing...game over? Forever? How/when was it decided & by whom?

I won't be in Sun Peaks this year (again!) because we're expecting a daughter at the end of January! Maybe if they get the 2013 World Champs then I'd have to come out of retirement!?

Have a good season...and don't forget to ENJOY it!

Go fast,

Nigel

Posted on: 2008/11/1 21:15

Production
Hi Dr Bullet
Thanks for your words. It is exactly what I was thinking. Don’t get me wrong: I think it would be great to have a week before WSC to train in Vars and I support it. But this won’t make a big difference for me, because I would not attend anyway. Given my job it is very difficult for me to get 1 week for speed skiing and I will use it for the WSC week. I am already preparing my schedule for 2009 I have to make a choice Finland Sweden or Italy. I can only do one. I guess I am one of many speed skiers in this situation.
Honestly I think currently Speed Skiing is organized for the top pro racers and that’s it. I heard there was a time when 2-day races happened during weekends. The track in Les arcs was constantly open for training. Actually I decided to start speed skiing because I was able to train in Les Arcs: 6 runs in 1 day! Since then I only had chance to speedski in races. No chance to train. Unfortunately I am not in great speed ski countries like Sweden and Finland where speed ski training is program. But for me it would be enough to know that I can spent 2 or 3 weekends in les Arcs doing one run after the other the whole day. It would be enough for me if I could start from just the middle of the track. Unfortunately it looks like we are not getting even that in les arcs in the next 4 years...
I hope we can at least use the track in Vars for the days after the WSC for training…
Ski slo… eh fast!
Toro Rojo!

Posted on: 2008/11/2 22:19

Profilé
This is my opinion:
Les Arcs = best track for speedski on this planet...
But there are 2 problems: Salvagio + Tovar, it is bad promotion for Les Arcs...
Vars = very nice track, but, in January (17. - 24.) there will not be a lot of snow as for example in the time of world record of P. Billy - 1997!. Track I think not will be ready for speed more than 200 - 210 km/h. There is next problem, it is breaking area and access. On Speedski committee in Zurich (October 2008), was the news, that Vars invested about 265.000 EUR to the track... May be, there will be better access and better breaking area. For example on traing day in Vars 2008 before FIS WC this year in January I saw M. Sage and he had big problems with breaking in speed about 165-175 km/h... (downhill category)....
So we will see... If I saw on webcam in Vars http://www.vars-ski.com/sources/mur_images.asp?num_site=1 I did not see any changes in area of access to the track...
All members of my Czech team are looking forward to race in Vars...
For to be race in Vars more save I think is needed to open track one maybe two days before official runs, or other race with max. speed minimum of 150 km/h... But on other part we must remember that there are 4 competition days! If we will start on level about 140 km/h it wil be OK...

Posted on: 2008/11/3 23:10

Production
Hi Vasek,
The key to stopping safely in Vars is to use ALL of the stopping area available to you. As you come out of the timing, aim for the cabine (timing hut) and then throw in a nice long left hander before transfering back into a right hander and and allowing the speed to drain naturally. All of the stopping-related crashes/problems I have seen in Vars have been due to people trying to stop too quickly either because they were "showboating" or just too lazy to walk a few extra metres back up the hill to the cabine!

I have never had any problems stopping there (from ~220kph) and I probably had the most polished (rounded) edges on the circuit.

It's a great track...enjoy!

Nigel

Posted on: 2008/11/4 7:53

Production
From Göteborg/Sweden
There will be training in our own petit vars track Väggen in Hundfjället 9-11/1, see you there! /Magnus

Posted on: 2008/11/4 13:29

Profilé
If I look on webcam in Vars, there is a lot of SNOW
In Vars 130 cm, on top 190 cm. It is great!
There will are perfect conditions I think...

See you in Vars
Be fast...!

Vasek

Posted on: 2008/12/15 12:30

[Advanced Search]

France Ski de Vitesse © 2001-2011